Individual User to User Messaging
S360 offers the opportunity for users to communicate with one another through private* direct messages. Aside from it’s usage at the Yield stage when users being making friends, direct messaging is available in all modules between program users and student ambassadors (or admission counselors). Sending an individual direct message can be completed using the process outlined below:
- Identify the user you want to message: This can be done by looking the user up by name on the members page or by adding the user’s program ID to the end of your program’s URL.
- Open the messaging window: Click the “Send Message” button listed with that user’s profile.
- Enter and send your message: Type the message you would like to send into the dialogue box that appears. Once you are happy with the message you’ve created, click send and your message will be sent to that user. Upon sending your message, that user will be notified that they’ve received a message and they will be able to respond to you directly.
*Administrators can view all messages through the S360 admin area.
Mass Direct Messaging
Aside from individual direct messaging, S360 also offers the opportunity to send direct messages to large groups of people at one time. To the end user these messages appear the same as any individual direct message, but the ability to send a message to a group of users at one time makes the messaging process more efficient for ambassadors or counselors. Scheduling and sending mass messages can be done using the process outlined below:
- Go to the mass messaging area: The S360 mass messaging feature is accessible through the “messaging” page. This page can be accessed through the program menu or by adding “/messaging” to the end of your program’s URL. (“[[SITE_URL]]/messaging”)
- Creating messages: To create the message you would like to send, click on the “messages” button. To create a new message, click on the “new message” button.
- Adding a new message: After you click “new message” you will be taken to the message creation page. Here you will create a title for your message and type out the message itself. The title for your message will not be visible to the end user and it is only used in the messaging area so that you can look back at messages you’ve previously sent and/or reuse messages in the future.
Enter the message you would like to send in the “content” area. In this area you should enter the message exactly as you would like it to appear to the end user. You also have the option of using certain variables within these messages. Variables can be used simply by clicking on the variable from the list on the right side of the page in the area of your message you want the variable to appear.
When you are happy with your message, simply click “create message”. After creation if you would like to make any final edits, you can do so from this page and simply click “update message” to save any changes.
- View your messages: Once your message has been created click on the messages button at the top of the page and you will see it listed there along with any other messages you’ve created. From this messaging page you can also click the edit icon to return to the message editing page.
- User selections: “User Selections” identify the group of users who you will be messaging. To view existing users selections or create a new one, click on the “selections” button.
- Create a new user selection: From the selections page, click “new selection” to create a new group of users you want to message.
Again, you’ll want to give your user selection a title that is easy to identify so that you can use it again in the future if you choose to do so (note: in most cases, user selections will update in real time as new users meet or fall out of your chosen criteria).
After titling your selection, update each field as necessary with your chosen criteria.
Once you are happy with the criteria you’ve entered, click the “create messaging selection” button. Similar to with messages, you can go back and edit your selection at any time. Note: after you create your selection you should return to the “selections” page and make sure the number of users shown makes sense. If you notice an error or the number of users (count) doesn’t make sense then you should edit the selection as necessary or report the issue to ensure there is no underlined issue within the program data.
Note: once setup, selections can be used repeatedly so selection creation does not need to be a repeated process for each mass message.
- Preparing to Send: Once your message has been created and you have identified the users you would like to receive the message, go to the “send messages” area. On this page you’ll enter at title for the message you’re sending, select the message and user selection from the drop down menus and identify when you would like the message to be sent.
- Sending your message: Once you are satisfied with your selections, you should review the summary and preview that appear on the right side of the page. If all of the message and selection details appear as you would expect, click the “send message” button and the message will begin sending to the appropriate users. Note: to send your message immediately you should leave the “starting on” field blank; if you would like the message to be scheduled for sending at a later time, enter the time you would like the message to be sent into the “starting on field” (based on the program time indicated).
- Viewing/removing scheduled messages:
If a message is scheduled for a future time and you want to stop the
message from being sent, go to the “sent messages” area. Here you will
see a listing of the messages that have already been sent and the
messages that are scheduled for sending. If your message has not yet
been sent, it can be made inactive and deleted.
Note: while all users have access to send individual direct messages, only designated users have access to the mass messaging feature.